From March 27th to 29th, 2023, the Women’s Empowerment For LEADership and Equity in Higher Education Institutions (WE4LEAD) project will be launched in 3 locations: day 1 at Iméra, day 2 at AMSE, day 3 at IRT.
Objective of the WE4LEAD project
The WE4LEAD project is an Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education (CBHE) project that aims to increase women’s access to the highest decision-making positions, in order to contribute to fully inclusive governance and management of HEIs.
It is part of a broader ambition to transform the governance of higher education institutions (HEIs) in the Mediterranean region through the dissemination of a culture of gender equality.
Partners of the WE4LEAD project
Project Coordinator: Isabelle Régner, Vice-President for Gender Equality and Anti-Discrimination
Co-Leaders (project management): Aix-Marseille University (France) and Lebanese University (Lebanon)
- European Union:
- Aix-Marseille University (France) – coordinator
- Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)
- Autonomous University of Madrid (Spain)
- South Mediterranean Region:
- Constantine 3 Salah Boubnider University
- Abdelhamid Ibn Badis University of Mostaganem
- Antonine University
- Lebanese University – co-leader
- Tunis El-Manar University
- University of Sousse
Associate Partner: Francophone Network of Women Leaders in Higher Education and Research (RESUFF)
Note: The project is developed within the framework of the Euro-Mediterranean Universities Consortium Téthys, created on January 28, 2000, by 22 universities from the Mediterranean region as a follow-up to the Barcelona process. Led by Aix-Marseille University, the network currently includes more than 70 universities from 19 countries. It is a place for cultural and scientific exchanges that contributes significantly and sustainably to the construction of the Euro-Mediterranean Space of Higher Education, Research, and Innovation. All universities involved in the WE4LEAD project are members of the Consortium.
Five specific and measurable objectives have been established to increase the proportion of women in top decision-making positions in universities:
- Collection of gender-disaggregated data to measure the representation of women in HEIs (decision-making positions).
- Better understanding of gender inequality issues by university decision-makers and commitment to address them.
- Establishment of an institutional framework promoting gender equality.
- Enhancement of non-discriminatory evaluation and recruitment mechanisms.
- Increase visibility of sexual harassment and improve its handling.
The project includes, among others:
- Development of a Gender Equality Plan
- Establishment of parity cells
- Establishment of anti-harassment cells
- Implementation of indicators/statistics to measure progress in institutions
- Implementation of training on:
- Gender and leadership
- Recruitment and promotion without gender stereotypes
- Awareness-raising actions within institutions