Application and Residency Conditions 2024-25
The EHESS/Iméra Chair in “Transregional Studies” aims to develop comparative research at the highest international level between different regions of the world. The proposed programs must particularly take into account the interplay of scales, issues of exchange, circulation, and connectivity in the reconfiguration of social orders, relying on innovative interdisciplinary approaches, especially alternative writings in the social sciences. The Chair particularly welcomes projects that focus on the comparison between cultural areas.
The holder of the Chair is responsible for promoting these research themes within a framework that intensifies cooperation between EHESS and Iméra, and ensures sufficient visibility for the Chair’s work through a series of public conferences.
Deadline: 16 October, 2023 at 1:00 pm (French time)
Duration of residence: 10 months (preferably)
Residence period: 2 September, 2024 to 4 July, 2025
The EHESS/Iméra chair is open to experienced researchers from all social sciences. Applicants should submit an innovative project on trans-regional comparisons among any regions of the world. Special attention will be paid to those projects which analyse contemporary issues from a long-run historical perspective.
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Not to have lived in France more than 12 months during the three years preceding this call for applications;
- Hold a Doctorate or PhD;
- Have an employment contract (permanent or not) in a foreign university or research institution during the residency.
The holder of the Chair receives a monthly allowance of 3000 euros.
She/he will also benefit from paid travel expenses and free accommodation on Iméra premises.
Application assessment criteria include, but are not limited to:
- The scientific excellence of the researcher according to the highest international standards in the field.
- The scientific excellence of the project including its interdisciplinary dimension, which is crucial for the insertion of the researcher in the dynamics of collective creation at Iméra.
- The capacity to carry the scientific collaboration between EHESS and Iméra.
- Scientific excellence and originality of the proposed series of public conferences (a key selection criterion).
Online applications must include the following supporting documents:
- A duly completed application form (mandatory fields);
- All the following files (to download):
- A curriculum vitae including a list of publications
- A presentation of the project (maximum 5 pages) followed by a selective bibliography (compulsory for researchers)
- A letter of support from an Aix-Marseille University researcher or associate/assistant professor.
The EHESS – Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales is a large establishment whose missions are research and teaching of research in the social sciences. It carries out its activities at its headquarters and in its regional centers in Lyon, Marseille and Toulouse. Iméra works closely with the EHESS Marseille campus: created in 1977, the EHESS Marseille campus, supported by the City of Marseille and in synergy with Aix-Marseille University, has developed a set of teaching activities for masters and doctorates and interdisciplinary research in the humanities and social sciences (history, anthropology, sociology, economics, etc.). The EHESS Marseille campus, half of whose students are foreigners, is also a center for scientific cooperation on an international scale.