From September 18 to 20, 2023, Fausto Fraisopi, professor at the University of Friborg and multiannual reseaarch fellow at Iméra, is organizing an international conference entitled “The thinking of the image: interdisciplinary approaches to imagery and imagination”. This conference is part of the cycle complexity, networks and interdisciplinarity of knowledge.
THE THINKING OF THE IMAGE
Interdisciplinary approaches to imagery and imagination
18-20 september 2023 at Iméra, the Institute for Adavanced Study of Aix-Marseille University
The conference will be transmitted entirely via ZOOM:
What shall we call an “image”? Is it that from which knowledge proceeds or that which anticipates knowledge? Is image something only able to be recognised as object of thinking or it shows per se, in its polysemy and equivocal constitution, a deep, still unexplored generative form of thinking?
From the point of view of the understanding of the digital age, where we entered in, to a strong consideration of the new frontiers of science, knowledge, and philosophy and from here up to societal and cultural dimensions, the thinking of the image still remain an enigma.
Since the ancient world, the philosophical antiquity from Plato to Aristotle has left this question as a legacy. This question has continued to pursue the history of thought: Islamic World and Christianity, Middle and Modern Age. It can be found massively in contemporary philosophy, culture studies, history of art and ideas. The aim of the international conference is, perhaps for the first time, to study and to explore in a genuine interdisciplinary approach the multiversal horizon of human imagery and, in particular its constructive, generative capacity of building a world-meaning.
The international conference is organised on the behalf of Iméra, the Institute for Adavanced Study of Aix-Marseille University, in collaboration with the LESA, Laboratoire d’Études en Sciences des Arts (EA 3274) and the Research Group on the Transdisciplinary Approaches to the Image and Imaginary: Fausto Fraisopi, Professor at Freiburg University and Multiannual Research Fellow at Iméra, Agnes Callu, Research Director at the CNRS (LAP -Laboratoire d’Anthropologie Politique), Pierre-Antoine Fabre, Research Director at the CNRS (CRH – Centre de recherche historiques – CéSor Centre d’études en sciences sociales du réligieux) and Alexander Schnell, Professor for Philosophy and Director of the Institute for Transcendental Philosophy and Phenomenology).
Monday 18 September, 2 PM
Introduction: Fausto Fraisopi (Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg – Iméra)
14:15 OPENING LECTURE
Sybille KRÄMER (FU Berlin): Dimensions of pictoriality.
The performativity of pictures between operative iconicity and works of art
FIRST SESSION: IMAGES AND EMOTIONS
Chair: Alexander Schnell
1) Agnès CALLU (LAP, EHESS/CNRS): Politics & emotional poetics of images
2) Pierre-Antoine CHARDEL (LAP, EHESS/CNRS): Contemporary images, a datalogical creation
3) Maria-Giulia DONDERO (FNRS Liège): Semiotic Approaches to the Meta-Image. From Painting to Big Visual Data
Tuesday 19 September, 9-13 AM
SECOND SESSION: IMAGES AND “HORS CHAMPS”
Chair: Pierre-Antoine Fabre
1) Nadia ALI (Aix-Marseille): The Artless Muslim: Ancient & Modern Denials and Affirmations of the Visual
2) Emma AUBIN-BOLTANSKI (EHESS): The body image(s) of a contemporary Maronite mystic in Beirut
3) Jean-Michel DURRAFOUR (AMU): To the modern origins of the ecological conception of the image: the First World War. Photography, painting, poetry.
4) Yili FAN (Charlotte): Filming and Image
Tuesday 19 September, 15-19 AM
THIRD SESSION: FLOATING. The image and its phenomenal vibrations
Chair : Fausto Fraisopi (University Freiburg)
1) Emmanuel ALLOA (Fribourg): Produce an appearance. On the performativity of images
2) Alexander SCHNELL (Wuppertal): Image and reality in Black Mirror
3) Klaus SACHS-HOMBACH (Tübingen): Reality and Pictorial Realism
4) Pierre-Adrien MARCISET (Lausanne -Nice): L’image : terminus a quo ou terminus ad quem ?
Wednesday 20 September, 9-13 AM
FOURTH SESSION: IN-BETWEEN. The image and its polysemy at the frontiers between disciplines
Chair : Agnès Callu (LAP, EHESS/CNRS)
1) Hana GRÜNDLER (Düsseldorf – Florenz): “The Crucible of Imagination”. Art, Aesthetics and Ethics in Russell and Wittgenstein.
2) Medhi AMMI (Université Paris 8): Mathematical images. Towards a data visualization of feelings
3) Jean-Baptiste FOURNIER (Paris): An empty space without an image? Phenomenology of auditory space.
4) Fausto FRAISOPI (Freiburg – Marseille): “[…] for a knowledge in général” [Kant]. On oblivion and coming back of the imaginary in the épistème
Wednesday 20 September 2 PM
ROUND TABLE (Organization of the Research Network)
- Fausto Fraisopi (Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg – Iméra)
- Agnès Callu (LAP, EHESS/CNRS, UMR 8177)
- Pierre Antoine Fabre (CéSor, EHESS)
- Alexander Schnell (Bergische Universität Wuppertal -Institut für Transzendentalphilosophie und Phänomenologie)
Informations for venue or for online participation: